The business area (secondary navigation)

Go straight to the content of the page

The Senate buildings

Palazzo della Sapienza

The result of a number of subsequent renovation works, it owes its name, meaning 'knowledge', to the Studium Urbis ('Study Town'), the prestigious Rome University founded by Pope Boniface VIII in 1303. The University was based here until the early 1900s, when the State Archives were transferred to this building.

A number of renowned architects took part in the construction, including Giacomo Della Porta and Dominichino, but its distinctive feature, the church with its majestic spiralling spire, was added by Francesco Borromini in 1643.

The Senate Elections and Parliamentary Immunity Committee and the Research and Documentation Department are located here.

Additional informations